Holiday gift giving for seniors, especially those who are closely tied to being at home, can be challenging.
Practical gifts that can help make their life easier and more comfortable (as well as that of the person who is caring for them) are often appreciated.
Our founder and COO, Jennifer Prescott, RN, MSN, CDP, has been devoted to geriatric care and dementia patients for decades. She offers several useful gift ideas for the special seniors in your life this holiday season.
Five Holiday Gifts for Seniors Aging In Place
- This simple clock with an extra large, clear display and easy-to-operate alarms can help seniors keep track of time and stay on a schedule–something elderly individuals often crave.
- PillPack is a convenient online prescription delivery service that can streamline medication management and refills.
- An Apple Watch set up with the ‘fall detection’ feature can provide them (and you) peace of mind in the event of a fall or another accident. It can sense the body’s mobility status and prompt you to ask for help if needed.
- Tile tracking products can assist loved ones with locating important items around the house if they’ve been misplaced.
- There are a number of medical alert systems available to ensure that your senior is safe in your absence. A monitoring device (typically wearable) can alert you or emergency responders if they are in danger or need medical assistance.
You may also consider gifting them a simple, thoughtful experience, especially one that engages the senses and can evoke joyful memories from past holidays. These might include:
- A pre-recorded playlist of music they enjoy and can easily access/play themselves
- Flowers or lotions/personal hygiene products that hold a familiar scent
- A cozy blanket or sweater made of favorite colors and patterns
- Special meals or baked treats, prepared in bulk, that can be frozen and then savored in the months ahead after the holidays have passed
Blue Water Homecare wishes you and your family a very safe and happy holiday!
If we can assist you with our at-home care services this holiday season, or at any time in the new year, please contact us here for a complimentary consultation. And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram.